Friday, August 19, 2005

Countdown

Well, we now have less than 30 minutes for Northwest Airlines and their mechanic union to strike a deal, and things aren't looking good.

It seesm like Northwest has had nothing but a long string of problems. If it isn't a mechanic strike, it's a fligt attendant strike. If it isn't that, it's a pilot strike. I'm not kidding. The employees already have a long history of taking pay cuts just to keep the company afloat. I don't know what it is, but it seems like the company just can't get its act together.

I know a large airline like Northwest has a lot more challenges than a small airline like Sun Country. Northwest can't just choose to offer flights only to the most profitable cities. But it seems to me that if it were well-managed they shouldn't have nearly as many problems as they have had.

I hope all parties can work things out and get what they need without having to resort to a strike. If a strike happens, I hope it is short. Well, just have to wait and see what happens.

2 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting comparison. Having flown both Northwest and Sun Country recently I can honestly say I enjoyed the Sun Country flight more. Being forced to sit on the ground for 2 hours, then fly for 4 with half a cup of juice and an offer to purchase a box of junk food for $3 is just not fun. I'd rather have had a sandwich. I'd rather pay $5 more for my ticket and get a sandwich. For personal and business travel.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Seth R. said...

I've only flown Sun Country once, but being that I was able to get a ticket with them for half the price what I would have paid to take the same flight via Northwest and I felt I got better service with them than I have ever gotten on Northwest (and that was before they started cutting back on stuff), I think I'll fly Sun Country from now on when I can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home