Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Reflections on the Past Year

As of today, I have now officially been working full time for a full year. Four full seasons following the same routine. It occurred to me a few months that I have haven't gone a full year following the same routine since I was 5 years old. That was the day before I started kindergarten.

See, when you're in school, you only go for 9 months at a time before the summer comes and breaks it up. And then we you do come back, you are a full grade higher; a clean slate, ready to start all over again a little older and wiser. And when you enter into middle school, high school, and beyond, you are taking different classes every 4 months. Each new semester is that same slate-cleaning event. Always something different around the corner.

So think about that. The past 10 years, I have been roughly on a 4-month rotation cycle. Constant flux, ever changing, always a different pace. If I didn't like what I was doing, all I had to do was bare through it and wait a few months. It got to be a very comfortable lifestyle.

But that's over with now. And it's not that I'm complaining so much, as just commenting on it. It's been a huge adjustment, and it hasn't been an easy one. I am now where I was exactly one year ago, and the prospect that I will still be here for a while yet is nothing less than daunting.

But I guess that part of growing up, and it had to happen sooner or later. So here's to One Year, and many more to come. I believe I am entitled to a beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home