Monday, September 19, 2005

Stolen

I had my car broken into this weekend. Right in my own building's parking garage. I'm not exactly sure how they did it. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the car or signs of forced entry. I'm not sure if I forgot to lock the door, if the electronic locks just didn't take or what. They didn't take much, but what they did take hurts.

I had a book of about 64 CDs stashed in the passenger-side foot well that they took. That book represented just about my entire CD collection, or at least the part of my CD collection I actually like. They're all gone. Some of them I have literally gone to the other side of the world to get. Others are from small local bands that no longer exist. All gone.

I estimate the value of the CDs to be almost $900. My renter's insurance will help me recover some of the cost of the replacing them, though my policy has a $500 deductible. But it really isn't about the money. Those CDs were like trophies from my travels and experiences all over. They meant a lot to me.

What makes this worse is that this could have been avoided so easily. I knew better than to keep that book in my car, that they could be stolen so easily. I was planning on going away for the weekend and considered taking the book with me back to my apartment to resort. I should have checked to make sure my car was locked. I feel so stupid.

What's strange about it is I had big case of beer (12 bottles of Sam Adams Octoberfest and 6 bottles of Stite Golden Pilsner) in the back seat along with a case of Sierra Mist I was planning to take with me this weekend (future post). Well, they stole the case of Sierra Mist, but didn't touch the beer. Maybe they just didn't recognize the packaging from the unusual beer. More likely it was damn fucking kids who probably will never be able to appreciate what they stole.

The up shot is almost all of the CDs should be replaceable through the magic of Amazon and other Internet sites. A few of them might require a little bit more digging and there's a couple I'm pretty sure I won't be able to replace.

But they took more than just a bunch of CDs and a case of Sierra Mist. I thought my garage was a safe place to keep my things. Even though I always lock my door, I didn't think I had to worry about that kind of stuff. Now I know my home isn't safe. And I can't help now to look at the every other person in my building I pass by as a suspect. I think that's what hurts most.

3 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like you've had a bad string of luck (stolen and smoke). Hope things get better!

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Seth R. said...

Me too!

Eh, it could have been worse. It's just annoying really. And it still makes me angry when I think about it. But there are a lot of people a lot worse off than me. I'm pretty damn lucky, I think.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger david said...

I had my CD-MP3 player stolen back in Feb. That sucked. It wasn't really a break in since I left the car unlocked for whatever reason that night so I felt really stupid. I can only imagine what losing your entire CD collection must be like. The one thing I always do when I buy a CD is make an MP3 backup of it on my computer. It isn't the same as having the real disc, but at least it helps guard against theft.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home