Saturday, February 18, 2006

Tragedy as a Marketing Device?

So as I was driving back from St. Cloud tonight, I passed by a used car dealership kind of on the outskirts of St. Cloud. I was struck by the rather large sign positioned in front with bright day-glow lettering on black background, though I had but a split second to digest it as I zoomed by on the highway. It read, simply, "Remember 9/11". So I started thinking back on that horrible incident 4 years ago, waking up in my college dorm room to learn that something terrible, something unthinkable, had happened. I remembered the news feeds that day forever replaying the images of the hijacked airplanes crashing into the Twin Towers, and then watching those towers come crumbling to the ground with over 3000 people still trapped inside. I thought about the loss of our national sense of invincibility, being replaced by an ever-present sense of fear and paranoia. A fear that has taken an icy grip on nearly all aspects of our lives since then. I thought about our response to the attacks, about the homes in Afganistan and Iraq that have been reduced to rubble and the other countless, nameless, lives lost in the names justice and safety amid cries of "never again!" I remember the events of September 11, 2001, or "9/11" as it has come to be called, all too well. Having contemplated this and the tumultous times the past 4 years have been, there was but one logical conclusion to be reached...

...I should buy a used car!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home