Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Of Guitar Heroes

So I've mentioned this game I've been playing in passing before, but I promised to make a post specifically about it. The game I am referring to is Guitar Hero for the Playstation 2. Let me just say that this game is fun.

Here's the set-up: It comes with a guitar-shaped controller specially made for the game (you can see a picture if you check out the above link) with 5 "fret" buttons on the neck and a "strum bar" down on the body, along with a whammy bar to liven up the long notes. Then you pick a song and watch the notes come at you on the screen; you have to "play" them when they reach the bottom. It is kind of like the infamous Dance Dance Revolution, only you don't have to jump around like an idiot (though I often do just because I get into the music).

That's the other thing. When you nail the song, it feels like you are actually playing it. Miss a note and the lead guitar (that's you) part dies off in the music as well. It makes it feel really rewarding when you can actually get through a hard song (and there are a lot of them) and play it well. I don't remember the last time I actually worked up a sweat playing a video game. This one does it routinely (as well as make my left hand hurt).

The songs included in the game are chosen well. You've got everything from More Than a Feeling by Boston to Cowboys From Hell by Pantera. Some other of my favorites are Iron Man by Black Sabbath, Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie, Killer Queen by Queen, Spanish Castle Magic by Jimi Hendrix, I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones...There's like 30 songs from well-known artsists. But then there are an additional 20 from small-time local bands (most seem to be from Boston, must be where the development studio is located), some of which are really good. I actually ordered the CD from Shaimus after hearing their track on this game. Just came in the mail today. I am quite pleased with it.

I can't stop playing this game. You have to try it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home