Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Good Day for Music

Today (or rather yesterday, since it is now after midnight) was a very good day for music. A bunch of new albums were released today, but of particular interest to me was the new Decemberists CD, The Crane Wife. I love this band and was very excited to hear they were coming out with another album. So I rushed right out and got it. I've already listened to it one time through, but like their other work, it definitely needs a few runs through to fully take in.

But it doesn't end there, it turns out Sean Lennon, the son of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, also released an album today. I had not known he was even recording again until I saw him by chance perform on David Letterman last week (I don't normally watch Letterman, but my dad and I were outside the theater last week while they were shooting something and we wanted to see what they had done). I am listening to this one right now as I write this (and it is very difficult to write and concentrate on the music at the same time). It's good stuff. You can definitely hear the influence of his dad, but the music is his own.

Lastly, I got a tip that the new Hold Steady album was very good and decided to give that a go as well. I don't know much about the band or their music, but there's only one way to fix that. I haven't gotten around to that one yet.

I've never pounced on new releases in music like that before, but there was just too much good stuff out there today. It was very exciting. Now I have some new tunes to listen to, which keep me busy for some time yet.

1 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger david said...

I'll have to check out the Decemberists since you've mentioned them a few times. Also don't forget that Weird Al released his new CD 2 weeeks ago. Great disc. You should check out this music video of his, it may be his best to date: White & Nerdy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home