Monday, February 27, 2006

Dream

I just woke up to my clock radio playing a song by a group called Big Star, though at the time I was convinced it was John Lennon (maybe the haze of not being fully conscious, though it did sound a bit like something Lennon would write). The radio had been going quite some time though and I think it gave me the visions of my waking dream.

The dream was like a fully realized music video. Interspersed with images of singer just generally being happy (I now realize the person in the dream was definitely not John, but I don't know who he is), the overall theme was the main character (respresented by the singer) attempting to learn how to ride a bike. He just keeps bumbling along, most of the time scooting with two feet and running into things along the side. There is someone behid him helping him along, the way a parent would help their child the first time they ride a bike. This is all happening on a scene that is like a board walk along the coast in a massive pine forest. It is very sunny and generally pleasant and cheerful. The character keeps bumbling along until he reaches the end of the dock where there are several whales in the water, and I hear the line "I can't get back home this way" (I think it was in the song), thinking it is referring to the way he is just bumbling, as he wasn't making very fast progress like that. Then I hear something to the effect of "This is only one-way anyway" (I don't remember the line exactly, it was almost subliminal. I don't think it was in the song) and with that, the character gets off the bike, climbs up the railing of the dock, and dives into the water. When he hits the water, he turns into a penguin - not a realistic penguin, but sort of a rounded cartoonish penguin (though this did not strike me in the dream) - turns around to issue some cheerful farewell, and then swims off. Then I wake up.

6 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe, just maybe Seth, you've done a little too much Guitar Hero and imagining being a rock star and all. I know I have had both SWG and WoW dreams before...

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Seth R. said...

No, a dream involving Guitar Hero would have involved notes flying at me, and there wouldn't have been any penguins.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, firstly, never underestimate the power of penguins. On that note, did you see "March of the Penguins" recently? Seems like there was a good deal of aquatic life in the dream...showing a subconcious desire to be a sea man, perhaps? :) In general though, sounds like a pleasant, if weird dream...sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, after all.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger wafoli said...

I would blame Alex Chilton for all of your troubles

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Christian said...

I concur with the man with long hair.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger david said...

From http://www.mydreamvisions.com/dictionary-p.htm:

penguin
Hardiness. Self-protection through playfulness or sense of humor. Also, intuitive and free-flowing. To dream of a penguin usually means that these qualities are advantageous for you to have right now, or they're important to pay attention to. Occasionally, a penguin in a dream means that you'd benefit by having less of these qualities right now. A penguin can also represent a person who you feel is showing these qualities.

According to this you are the funny man you are in order to mask the real you! Tell me all your secrets and you will be set free!

Then again, as jeff said, a cigar could be just a cigar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home